Have you ever been in a situation wherein you have enrolled for placement in an organization and want to ask about your interview status?
Well, mostly all of us face this situation at least once.
Curiosity to know the status of your interview is inevitable. All the interview sessions are disquieting and the interviewees are anxious to know the status of their interview. If the interviewer is taking the time to revert back, then you can ask about the status of the interview.
What concerns more is how to ask about the status of your interview.
But there is a very minute difference between being desperate and being really interested. You should not annoy the recruiter by continuously nudging him/her for the same. For the same purpose, you must know how to ask about the status of your interview in a professional manner.
Below are the 10 best ways to ask about your interview status without being annoying.
Write an Email
You can request feedback for your interview by writing an email to the concerned authority of the organization.
One must be well aware of email etiquettes before drafting an email. Below given are some of the dos and don’ts of an email.
Do’s & Dont’s of Email
- Keep calmness – You should not sound too desperate; maintain a cool attitude. Too much eagerness is not appreciable.
- Choose the right language – You must choose the right words to enquire about the status of your interview. The words must depict your professionalism and maturity.
Also, avoid using slang or informal words. The content must be formal and crisp. Proper punctuation must be implied.
- Select the time of sending the email wisely – You must wait for a few days for the company to revert back. If the process is too time consuming, for example over a week, then consider drafting the email.
Also, you must target that your email is being read by the concerned person and not ignored in the long list of emails. To ensure this you can send it during the night so that it is visible first in the morning.
- Use a formal email id – Generally, emails from informal ids tend to get ignored amongst a large number of emails. To maintain a formal email id for professional purposes.
- Know whom to address the email – You must know who the concerned person is for the recruitment process of a specific post.
- Draft only one email – Do not annoy the concerned person by drafting several emails asking the status of your interview.
How to ask about the status of your interview through email
There are different ways to ask about the interview status via an email but that totally depends on the time-frame. You can ask about it in various ways that are as follows:
- After the preliminary test- Some of the companies conduct a preliminary written test to filter the entire set of applicants for the job offered. You can enquire about the status of the interview to be conducted using the following template:-
Last week your company conducted a preliminary written test prior to the interview for the post of Sales Manager. I am Jack Gilbert, one of those candidates.
I would like to enquire about the feedback of the test conducted.
Clearing the test would make me a lever closer to my aim, hence the eagerness.
Hoping for a reply at your earliest convenience.
Thank you in advance.
- Inquiry for First Interview – After filling the application form, you might be curious to know the dates for the interviews. You may use the following template.
I am Paul Murphy and intend to offer my candidature for the post of Marketing Head as advertised by your company. I have filled the application form for the same.
I would like to enquire about the dates for the interviews.
The earliest reply from your end would be highly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.
- Feedback of recent interview – You might be keen to know whether you cleared the interview or not. So, you can use the following template.
I am Maria Smith, one of the candidates who was recently interviewed for the post of Project Manager that was advertised by your company.
I am writing to you to know the status of the recruitment process in your company. I would like to know the status of my interview.
An immediate response from your end would be highly appreciated.
- After the first interview – At times organizations conduct a couple of interviews which enables them to judge the candidates better.
Therefore, you might be curious to know the status of your first interview and whether you have qualified to the next level or not. In such cases, the following template can be used:-
I am James Rodriquez. I was recently interviewed by the Human Resources Manager of your company, Mr. David Smith for the post of Project Manager.
I would like to know whether I have been selected for the next level of the recruitment process or not.
I shall be highly obliged. Thanking you in advance.
- Enquire feedback of the interview – You might also be curious to know about the feedback of the interview.
The feedback also determines the status of the interview. You can use the following template:-
I am Ana Megan and I recently interviewed for the position of the Finance Manager on February 1, 2020.
I am well aware of the recruitment process of your company and also understand the importance of qualifying for this interview.
Thus, I am eager to know the status of my interview.
Hoping for a positive reply.
Thanking you in advance.
- Enquire after the Reference Research – The companies also conduct a reference check of the candidates. This is generally regarded as the final step of the recruitment process. You can use the following template.
I am Nina Mathew and recently was interviewed for the post of Marketing Head. Knowing the fact that the referral check is the final step, I would like to enquire about the status of my whole interview process.
It would be an honor to be a part of your esteemed organization.
Anticipating a positive reply from you soon.
- Enquire the concerned agency – At times, companies hire an external agency for the conduction of the recruitment process.
Hence, you may draft an email to the agency to inquire about the status of your interview. The following template may be helpful.
I am John Smith and recently was interviewed for the post of Sales Manager in Paul Industries Ltd. conducted by your agency.
I would like to enquire about the status of the same.
I’ll be grateful for your response.
Thanking you in advance.
Some other ways to ask about the interview status
- Ask at the end of the interview – One of the best ways is to ask the interviewer just after the interview. This will make you look interested and committed to the job.
Furthermore, it provides clarity to you on the recruitment process of the organization.
If you are beforehand aware of the due date of the result declaration, then it becomes easy on your part too. It provides a sense of certainty.
It sets out a time frame for us within which you will be notified about the status of your interview.
- Call them after a couple of days or a week – Another way could be to call at the company office and ask about the status of the interview. One must keep in mind to keep the tone professional and polite.
You might not get a proper reply but remember to keep your cool and don’t get frustrated.
There is always an end number of reasons why a company is not able to revert back to all the candidates of the interview, maybe due to certain prior commitments or other reasons, but you must keep calm.
- Connect via Social Media – Social media is far beyond Facebook and Instagram. Social media sites like LinkedIn, Meetup, AngelList, etc. provide you the platforms to connect with professionals all over the world.
During the interview, a professional bond is created between you and the interviewer. Hence, you can approach and connect to them on social media. This is beneficial for future prospects as well.
It is important for you to be curious about the status of your interview but it should not come in the form of frustration or aggression. Recruiters expect you to follow up to see your interest and commitment towards the job. But you must manage it well.
In case of drafting an email, email etiquette must be kept in mind.
The above listed 10 methods tell you how to how to enquire about the status of your interview.
If you still have any doubts or face any problem with the different ways to ask about your interview status, please do let us know in the section below.